Trigger Warnings: Talk of illness, animal death mention
This is sort of a follow-up to my last long-winded and depressing journal.
My dog Dakota went back to the vet this morning because his fever was still too high. The vets decided to sort of start from square one and do some more tests, since it was looking more and more like it isn’t Bartonella. Firstly, his red blood cell count is still going down. Secondly, he got a test where they extract some fluid from his joints to look for… something, I’m not sure… but it can point to possible auto-immune trouble. The test came back positive. So it’s looking likely that this is auto-immune problems now. It could be something wrong with his bone marrow since he doesn’t have many red blood cells, but we’re not sure. However, at least we got a positive test result and can actually start pursuing actual treatment. As a side note, his lymph nodes are completely back to normal now, so that’s great. He’s still looking pretty miserable, but finally some tangible progress…
My hedgehog Hiccup is still doing great. He’s back to his old self. Just last night I let him play in my hair, and he decided to take a nap there. We just snuggled like that for 20 minutes. I’m so happy he’s doing better. Still don’t know for sure what was wrong, but I still think it was a flare-up of arthritis. He possibly got a little too heavy (he weighed around 560 grams before he started feeling bad, which is on the bigger side for a hedgehog), but after he stopped eating for a while because of the pain and lack of activity, his weight’s now at 450g. So now I’m going to really try to monitor his weight. Ideally, I’d like it to stay under 500g.
As for me, I’m still having trouble coping with the loss of Snickers, but I’m doing considerably better. I’m still physically doing pretty badly though. My ear is still giving me issues with congestion and balance, I think I have one of my not-migraine-migraines (I don’t get the headache, but I get every other migraine-like symptom. Malaise, fatigue, aches, etc.), I’m still worried about my blood sugar, my TMJ’s flared up bad from my nervous chewing habit, I have trouble focusing, my sleep schedule’s all screwed up… I feel pretty awful. I’m hanging in there, at least.
I just really hope Dakota can be treated. My family and I really don’t want to have to make the call to euthanize him if he’ll never get better… He’s definitely not enjoying life at the moment, so if this is untreatable… Yeah… I just really hope it won’t come down to that.